Effective Indoor Sustainable Gardening Practices and Their Benefits
Let's have a look at the smartest eco-friendly ways of growing plants – sustainable gardening practices.
Global food security and sustainable food production is a critical challenge. Reaching sustainable food production will require more food grown in less space and in less time than has ever been done before. It’s a challenge to which we have dedicated ourselves. We’re excited to be a part of developing sustainable systems that will increase food production through hydroponics!
Key Goals of Sustainable Gardening Practices
It's very promising that sustainable growing practices are getting more and more popular.
People who promote sustainability may try to:
- use only organic, reusable, renewable materials, nutrients, etc.;
- avoid or, at least, reduce much the use of pesticides, herbicides, or other harmful chemicals;
- use less water;
- make the best use of space;
- create nutritious and tasteful food at home;
- choose cost-effective as well as eco-friendly methods and materials.
Common Sustainable Gardening Practices
If we speak about sustainability in general, there are many practices a person can apply:
- grow your own food;
- grow native plants – they are more tolerant and adjusted to your area's conditions;
- high-tolerance, low-water usage plants – both vegetable and ornamental plants;
- composting – saving organic waste products, leaves, etc. for future gardening purposes;
- conserve water resources – collect rainwater, control water runoff and excessive evaporation;
- eco-friendly and cost-effective lighting – fluorescent bulbs, solar-powered lights, LED lights and frames;
- saving your seeds – for continuous successful crops and saving money;
- companion planting and beneficial insects – nature fighting against pests and weeds;
- get the kids into sustainable gardening – let them learn to act the best way from the very beginning.
Some of the practices aren't applicable when growing plants in urban conditions. But there are still many options.